Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Invisible Children and surely other arbitrary things...

Well, well, well. Here we are again. In part because I was going to anyway, and in part because my mom suggested updating about this, I am going to tell you what I will be doing August 11. I will be running around like crazy making sure Amanda, Sarah, and myself pull off this event that I still can't believe is more than a pipedream. But, I'm getting a little ahead of myself, really, so let me reel it back. It started last year, over Christmas Break when a friend told me to watch a trailer for this movie called The Invisible Children. My heart was stirred, but I still wasn't sure what it was really about. So, when I saw a month later that they would be showing it at school, I was ready to go. So, I watched this movie. It's about what's going on, and has been going on in Uganda and Sudan for 20 years. (Now, to me, this was especially significant. This had been going on for as long as I had been alive). But, more than that, this was about children. You see, the L.R.A., in order to get more soldiers, abducts children from their homes, brainwashes them, and forces them to fight in the army. While doing this they often kill children who resist, or even at random, to desensitize the kids to killing. However, these kids, to avoid this, have started commuting to the larger cities every night. That's walking a couple hours barefoot. Now, I know this is starting to sound a little, Save the Children, 10 cents a day, but, it's me guys. And it's unreal to me, that it's going on. So, here comes in these three guys. They went to Africa to make a movie, find a story, and now they have this huge organization to help these kids have something more to live for. They are building schools, giving hope, and even working to end the war. So, me and my aforementioned friends were thinking one day, we should do something. Well, we had all been thinking individually for a while, but then one day, boom, one of us said it...and we actually did it. We rented a place, and we are having a benefit concert and art auction. We have 5 bands playing, and people are donating art, and we are going to have people bid on it. We've got someone donating t shirts, we have bands donating time. The only cost for this is the place we are renting, but we are doing a cover charge to take care of that. So, that's it. It could be big, but we need prayer. Just for thinking of all those details, and for the people who said they would help us to follow through. And for lots of money!
In other news, I'm getting a new car. A darling green 2000 hyundai accent. Only, uh, it's manual, and technically, I only drive automatic. But, don't worry, I'll learn soon, I mean how hard can it be? No, really, it's not hard, right? I named it Fern. Haha, for many reasons. For one, it's so much better for the environment than my dear Taurus. It gets like 30 miles to the gallon! Woo hoo! And, ferns are anciently symbolic for fruitfulness and loyalty, and they are hearty plans. Which is just the sort of thing I need in a car. Besides, it's totally cute. It has no song yet, because we haven't been cruising enough, but basically it's my hippie alter ego.
Well, that's all for now. I need to be going to bed soon, because I have a double teeth appointment tomorrow. Denist and orthodontist. No fun. But, thanks for all the comments, I'm lovvvvving it. I'll respond to any comments I think necessary within the comment field, if that makes sense, and it does to me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting. i already know a lot of this so i really don't read your post but i love you and we kill at cranium

Anonymous said...

Whit,

I know I am your mom and I should just say these things to you. It is funny how much goes by because of routine. No wonder God didn't like the old testament way of sacrifice. Asking for forgiveness just became one more task to be accomplished in the list of household chores. So let me try to give you something outside of my list of things to accomplish today. I want you to have a wonderous adventure with God not just for this event but forever. I know it will be scary at times because it can't be contained on a list, but I want you to get the full measure of our new testament God. Blessings on the invisible children event. Peace to you and your co-workers. The kind of peace that feels like your socks and shoes are off and you are walking in the lush, cool grass just kicking it with a book. Let this be something that changes each person who comes. I pray strength for your arms so when your Abba Father picks you up and swings you around and can just go with it. And joy bubbling up knowing that even though you don't have a list with all the details it is going to happen and there will be a big story to tell.

Anonymous said...

Make sure you leave time under the "arbitrary" catagory for reading HBP and going to get coffee with me and discussing it for like 3 hours. Plus I expect a blog on it, for the family to enjoy...and love long time. T