Wednesday, October 14, 2009

True Confession...

Sometimes...I lie. What I mean by this is I just sort of think it's funny to tell people untrue things about me and see if I can weave a convincing story. This, I understand, is probably not an admirable quality. I'm not trying to toot it as such, but I just have a knack for it. And the more ridiculous, the better.

Ok, I suppose I am trying to make it sound a little edgy and awesome. But, I just think it's funny. We can discuss the morality of it some other time.

I mean, I've been doing this for a long time. Like when I was in 7th grade, I convinced a girl I had gone to school with for 6 years and lived like 5 minutes away from that I had 5 older brothers she had never met.

When I went camping with friends this past Memorial Day weekend, we all took on alter egos and had elaborate back stories. I was Talon...an East Coast transplant to the West Coast Art School drop out who lived in Seattle and was a faux hippie. I mean, being one of those indie kids with rich parents who is always soul searching and hippie playing was actually a part of my back story. The stories we made up that weekend were nothing short of legendary. And we didn't drop it for two full days. We even sat around a camp fire with strangers telling stories from our boarding school days in Boston. I've never even been to Boston.

And then, there was one time I was at a bar for a friend's 21st birthday party. I knew all of 3 people there. And so, I convinced this guy (who, albeit, had been drinking a bit) that I was in the process of becoming a nun, all with a beer in one hand and a cig in another hand.

Anyway, I was just thinking about it today whilst running. And I still think each of those are priceless and endlessly humorous, if not a little amoral.

But, Jay-Z and Journey make me run with the hugest smile on my face. Because, ladies is pimps too. Go on brust yo shoulder off.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i like to call that acting. very common for introverts to do. i hear it is a good way to express emotion.

Prue said...

Oh Whit.

That is all I can say. :)

SASS said...

First of all, I like your use of toot. Very clever.

Second, I think your story embellishments stem from your deep love for fiction. And humor. (A nun, really?!)

And lastly, that song was the one that got me running again after high school.

Ladies IS pimps, too.

I LOVE YOU.